Pensions Boost Alts. Allocations Threefold

Jul 13 2010 | 1:11pm ET

Pensions funds allocate almost three times as much money to alternative assets today than they did 10 years ago, a new study shows. But the Towers Watson report shows that real-estate funds remain the major “alternative asset” held by pensions, although hedge funds and private equity funds continue to make inroads.

Alternative assets now make up 17% of all global pension fund assets, up from 6% at the turn of the millennium. And while real-estate funds still account for 52% of that total, that’s down from 58% just two years ago.

Funds of private equity funds are the second-largest investment for pensions, with 21%, up from 20% two years ago. Funds of hedge funds came in third, at 13%, the same as in 2008. Still, Towers Watson’s Carl Hess said that hedge funds and p.e. are gaining in popularity.

“We believe that more larger investors will invest directly in future rather than through funds of funds, particularly due to positive developments on fees, which are increasingly better-aligned with investors’ interests,” he said. “This, and liquidity factors, would account for the static fund of hedge fund AUM last year and only modest AUM growth in private equity fund of funds.”

Thus, only one hedge fund or p.e. investor made Towers Watson’s list of the top 10 global alternative managers, topped by Australia’s Macquarie Group with $51.6 billion in pension fund assets invested in infrastructure. HarbourVest Partners came in ninth, with $21 billion in pension assets.


In Depth

Q&A: Open Season For Closed-End Funds

Aug 29 2014 | 10:00am ET

When Maury Fertig and Bob Huffman, former Salomon Brothers coworkers, launched...

Lifestyle

Och Funds Women In Finance Initiative At U-M

Aug 28 2014 | 3:01pm ET

Och-Ziff Capital founder Daniel Och and his wife have made a "generous donation"...

Guest Contributor

Looking Ahead: What’s In Store For Managed Futures?

Aug 22 2014 | 12:52pm ET

The last five years were phenomenal for investors in equity indices. Will the next...

 

Editor's Note

    Get A Sneak Peak Of The Alpha Pages

    Aug 25 2014 | 11:21am ET

    As many of you know, FINalternatives was recently acquired by the owners of Futures magazine, a firm called The Alpha Pages LLC. Today marks the soft-launch of a new sister site for both publications. As its name suggests, The Alpha Pages will cover all types of alternative investments, going far beyond the more well-known ones such as hedge funds and private equity. Read more…

 

Futures Magazine

July/August 2014 Cover

The time was right

Commodities/Futures magazine launched at the precipice of a revolution in the futures industry—really a revolution in the idea of risk management—that would move it from a small niche industry to ...

The Alpha Pages

TAP July/August 2014 Cover

The Alpha Pages Interview: Senator Rand Paul

Senator Paul sat down in the debut series of the Alpha Pages Interview to discuss the broken tax code, regulation surrounding Bitcoin, and his plans for the 2016 Presidential election.