Cohen’s Ex Now Asks For Just $8 Million In Lawsuit

Jul 30 2010 | 1:30pm ET

The ex-wife of hedge fund titan Steven Cohen has lowered her asking price in her controversial racketeering lawsuit against the SAC Capital Advisors founder.

Patricia Cohen has again moved to amend her lawsuit against her ex-husband. But where she previously sought at least $100 million and “a substantial, if not controlling,” stake in SAC, she is now asking for a positively modest $8.25 million.

The new figure was arrived at by claiming that a $9 million investment Patricia Cohen claims her then-husband said was a total loss was actually worth $5 million. The amended lawsuit asks for the $2.75 million that Patricia Cohen says she would have been entitled to in the couple’s 1991 divorce, trebled to help her pay her legal fees.

That is no small matter: Patricia Cohen has seen one former lawyer sue her for unpaid legal fees, and her next quit last month over the same issue.

She does not, however, back down on the explosive allegations at the center of her lawsuit, which accuses Steven Cohen of insider-trading and perjury. Patricia Cohen is also suing Cohen’s brother, Donald, and former business partner Brett Lurie. But she has dropped SAC itself as a defendant.


In Depth

Dillon Eustace: The Advantages of ICAVs

Feb 11 2016 | 7:51pm ET

As the growth of alternative investment vehicles continues, global asset managers...

Lifestyle

Citadel's Ken Griffin Donates $40M To New York's Museum of Modern Art

Dec 22 2015 | 9:23pm ET

Citadel founder Ken Griffin has donated $40 million to New York’s Museum of Modern...

Guest Contributor

Hedging Against Reputational Risk in the 21st Century

Feb 12 2016 | 7:18pm ET

For investors, the first step in researching a new fund or manager is to google...