Franklin Resources Snaps Up Stake In Pelagos

Nov 18 2010 | 4:07am ET

Mutual fund giant Franklin Resources has taken a large minority stake in alternative investments firm Pelagos Capital Management.

San Mateo, Calif.-based Franklin, which manages the Franklin and Templeton mutual fund ranges, bought a 20% stake in Pelagos. Terms of the deal were not disclosed; Pelagos’ management team retains ownership of the remaining 80% of the firm.

“One of the ways we have built Franklin Templeton’s global business is by making strategic investments in small, yet highly experienced asset management companies,” Franklin CEO Greg Johnson said. “This new relationship with Pelagos is an important step within our overall plan to expand Franklin Templeton’s alternative strategies platform.”

Boston-based Pelagos was founded in 2005 by Stephen Burke, former senior global strategist at State Street Corp. The firm manages commodities, managed futures and hedge fund replication strategies, and has $377 million in assets under management.

Franklin Resources, by contrast, manages $664 billion.


In Depth

Why Ponzi Schemes Work: An In-Depth Look At The Allen Stanford Fraud

Dec 21 2014 | 10:30am ET

Texan Allen Stanford first appeared on the radars of financial regulators in 1997...

Lifestyle

Cooper-Hohn Won't Contest Divorce Settlement

Dec 18 2014 | 9:51am ET

The ex-wife of hedge fund billionaire Christopher Hohn will not contest a divorce...

Guest Contributor

Controlling With Confidence: A ‘How-To’ For Hedge Fund Managers

Dec 22 2014 | 11:52am ET

Hedge funds are increasingly turning to third party services to help with operations...

 

Sponsored Content

Editor's Note

    Guidelines for Guest Articles

    Oct 22 2014 | 9:46am ET

    We are always looking for guest articles from hedge fund managers and buy-side firms.

    If you are interested in submitting a contributed piece for possible publication on FINalternatives, please take a look at the specs. Read more…

 

Futures Magazine

December 2014 Cover

Futures 2014 person of the year

Jeff Sprecher was simply looking for a platform to trade energies when launching ICE 14 years ago but it has grown to reach the pinnacle of both the listed futures and equities world.

The Alpha Pages

TAP July/August 2014 Cover

The Alpha Pages Interview: Senator Rand Paul

Senator Paul sat down in the debut series of the Alpha Pages Interview to discuss the broken tax code, regulation surrounding Bitcoin, and his plans for the 2016 Presidential election.