Man, MF Global Settle Lawsuit

Jan 21 2011 | 12:30pm ET

The Man Group and its former futures brokerage have settled a shareholder lawsuit stemming from the latter's spin-off in 2007.

Investors claimed that MF Global made false and misleading statements in its initial public offering registration and prospectus. The firm, now led by former New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, went public in November 2007. The lawsuit followed in 2008, after a rogue trader at the firm caused $141 million in losses on unauthorized wheat bets.

MF Global said it would pay only $2.5 million of the $90 million settlement. Man is kicking in $32.5 million, and MF Global said it hoped its insurance would cover the rest.

The futures brokerage did not admit or deny any wrongdoing.


In Depth

Q&A: George Schultze On His Fund's Unique Approach to Distressed Investing

Apr 16 2015 | 1:01am ET

George Schultze is a managing member of Schultze Asset Management, a long/short...

Lifestyle

Puerto Rico Woos The Rich But So Far Gains Little

Apr 17 2015 | 2:45am ET

Hedge fund manager Rob Rill grins. He has just had word that U.S. financial regulators...

Guest Contributor

Minnesota Supreme Court Rejects The Ponzi Scheme Presumption: Lenders Claw Back Some Of Their Own Rights

Apr 17 2015 | 9:23am ET

A recent court ruling in Minnesota has put an end to the Ponzi Scheme Presumption...

 

Editor's Note