Fraudster Illarramendi Banned For Running Ponzi Scheme

Aug 4 2011 | 12:56pm ET

Admitted hedge fund fraudster Francisco Illarramendi has accepted a lifetime ban from the securities industry, the Securities and Exchange Commission said.

Facing up to 70 years in prison, Illarramendi, who pleaded guilty in March to running a $540 million Ponzi scheme, may figure he won't be needing the work, anyway: The SEC said it accepted his offer of a lifetime ban.

Illarramendi pleaded guilty to charges that he misappropriated more than $50 million invested in his Michael Kenwood Group and Highview Point Partners. He admitted that he engaged a pair of Venezuelans to provide a bogus letter from an accountant in that country verifying the existence of $275 million in imaginary assets.

Among the victims of Illarramendi's fraud was the pension fund for employees of Venezuela's state-owned oil company.


In Depth

GSAM's Papagiannis: Liquid Alternatives For The Long Run

Apr 21 2017 | 8:44pm ET

Interest in liquid alternatives cooled a bit last year amid a broad shift in investor...

Lifestyle

Aston Martin Returns To Debt Market As DB11 Drives Turnaround

Mar 31 2017 | 5:21pm ET

James Bond’s preferred carmaker is returning to the public debt markets for the...

Guest Contributor

Debunking Conventional Investment Wisdom (Part II)

Apr 17 2017 | 5:56pm ET

The alternative investment industry is currently replete with buzzwords around data...

 

From the current issue of