Survey: Hedgies Expecting Big Bonuses In 2011

Oct 20 2011 | 10:23am ET

Wall Street’s bonus expectations remain high for 2011, especially those of employees in hedge funds, boutique banks and professional services firms, according to a new survey by the job search site eFinancialCareers.com.

A full 62% of the Wall Street employees surveyed expect their bonuses this year will be higher than or the same as their 2010 bonuses. This is down slightly from 71% in 2010, a decline attributed to lower expectations on the part of employees of large banks, 38% of whom expect bonus payouts to decrease this year, compared to 36% that expect higher payouts. 

Personal performance (45%) and firm performance (22%) are the primary drivers of bonus optimism.

Among the 30% of respondents who expect less in their pay packet this December, firm performance (40%) and market conditions (35%) were the most-cited primary causes.

"If managing financial markets is Wall Street science, then managing professionals' expectations on compensation is one of Wall Street's premier arts," said Constance Melrose, managing director, eFinancialCareers North America. "Even amid an atmosphere of slower recruitment activity and targeted layoffs, Wall Street will continue to be a pay-for-performance culture.  Firms need to be resolute in taking care of their best in class employees, as they will always have opportunities to make a career move if they feel disenchanted."

The pollsters say one response has remained almost entirely constant from year to year: the majority of Wall Street professionals (59% in 2011, versus 61% in 2010) say money, while important, isn't the most important reason why they work in the financial markets. The remainder (39%, versus 37% last year) say compensation is the most important reason to work on Wall Street. Only 2% said compensation was of no importance. 

The 2011 eFinancialCareers Bonus Expectations Survey took place in the United States between September 20 and October 3, 2011 with 1,098 currently employed financial markets professionals responding.  Of those respondents, 53% work in the front office, 25% in the middle office and 22% in the back office.


In Depth

Fitch Says Alternative Asset Managers 'Stable' Despite Dry Powder

Nov 20 2014 | 9:30am ET

Ratings agency Fitch says the outlook for seven publicly traded alternative asset...

Lifestyle

Cohen Buys $101 Million Sculpture

Nov 12 2014 | 9:17am ET

Steven Cohen was the sole bidder for a rare Alberto Giacometti sculpture at Sotheby...

Guest Contributor

Why The Big Money Is Going To Europe

Nov 14 2014 | 6:03am ET

Peer-to-peer lending was invented with the individual investor in mind. But despite...

 

Sponsored Content

    For Hedge Funds, Mastering Data Is Key To Success

    Nov 4 2014 | 9:45am ET

    Data management is important to every business, but for hedge funds, it is critical. FINalternatives recently asked Peter Sanchez, CEO of Northern Trust Hedge Fund Services, how fund managers can deal with the demands of managing data while at the same time remain transparent and abide by operational best practices. Read more…

Editor's Note

    Guidelines for Guest Articles

    Oct 22 2014 | 9:46am ET

    We are always looking for guest articles from hedge fund managers and buy-side firms.

    If you are interested in submitting a contributed piece for possible publication on FINalternatives, please take a look at the specs. Read more…

 

Futures Magazine

November 2014 Cover

Building a better market

Reg NMS created a huge bifurcation in equity markets and while much of what has followed has been positive, in terms of lower fees and greater liquidity, many traders would like to see the market come...

The Alpha Pages

TAP July/August 2014 Cover

The Alpha Pages Interview: Senator Rand Paul

Senator Paul sat down in the debut series of the Alpha Pages Interview to discuss the broken tax code, regulation surrounding Bitcoin, and his plans for the 2016 Presidential election.