Paulson Continues Risk Cuts

Nov 16 2011 | 10:46am ET

Despite missing out on October's stock rally due to its efforts to cut risk, Paulson & Co. continued to reduce its exposure during the first half of November.

Firm founder John Paulson told investors attending the New York hedge fund's two-day annual meeting at the Metropolitan Museum of Art that he's cut the net exposure of the firm's main hedge funds to 30%, half of what it was four months ago. Paulson told clients that he'd continue to reduce the firm's bullish bets until it becomes clearer that Europe will be able to sort out the sovereign debt crisis afflicting Greece and Italy, Bloomberg News reports.

Earlier this year, Paulson's largest funds, which have fallen 44% and 29% this year, had net exposure of 81%.

Despite the big losses, investors filed redemption requests totaling only 8% of assets at the end of last month, just one third of what they would have been allowed to pull and in line with what Paulson generally sees in year-end redemptions.


In Depth

U.S. Treasury Moves on Reinsurance Loophole

Apr 24 2015 | 5:11pm ET

The U.S. Treasury Department has released proposed rules aimed at limiting the ability...

Lifestyle

Puerto Rico Woos The Rich But So Far Gains Little

Apr 17 2015 | 2:45am ET

Hedge fund manager Rob Rill grins. He has just had word that U.S. financial regulators...

Guest Contributor

Opportunities Ahead: Asian Fixed Income and Currency Markets

Apr 24 2015 | 6:18am ET

For hedge funds focusing on Asia, the policy uncertainty, unclear interest rate...

 

Editor's Note