Hedge Funds, Goldman Compromise On Nine Debt

Oct 17 2012 | 9:34am ET

U.S. hedge funds Oaktree Capital and Apollo Global Management have reached an agreement in principal with Goldman Sachs, the holders of Nine Entertainment's mezzanine debt.

Under the terms of the as-yet-to-be-signed deal, senior lenders will own 95.5% of the equity, while mezzanine holders will own the remaining 4.5%, meaning the latter will recover just 10.8% of their original A$975 million investment.

"We believe this is an outstanding outcome for all stakeholders,” Nine Chairman Peter Bush said in a statement. “The business has great momentum and strong cash flow, and now it will have the strongest balance sheet in the industry. It puts the company in a remarkable position to build on the successes of 2012.”

The biggest loser in the deal is CVC Capital Partners, the private equity company that bought Nine from billionaire James Packer in 2007 and injected A$1.9 billion into it between 2007 and 2008. A requirement to refinance over A$2 billion of its debt forced the company into negotiations with its lenders.

Nine's assets include the free-to-air provider Nine Network Australia, Ticketek, Allphones Arena and a 50% interest in the online portal ninemsn.

"The key terms of a deal to recapitalize Nine Entertainment have been agreed in principle. However, a large amount of detail remains to be worked out ahead of the deal being completed and we look forward to concluding that soon," a spokesman for Goldman Sachs Mezzanine Partners told the Wall Street Journal.


In Depth

Why Ponzi Schemes Work: An In-Depth Look At The Allen Stanford Fraud

Dec 21 2014 | 10:30am ET

Texan Allen Stanford first appeared on the radars of financial regulators in 1997...

Lifestyle

Hedgie Funds US Squash Program

Dec 24 2014 | 8:46am ET

Squash, anyone?

Guest Contributor

EidoSearch’s Top Three Market Projections For 2015

Dec 23 2014 | 4:03am ET

It is that time of year again when prognosticators make their big market calls for...

 

Sponsored Content

Editor's Note

    Guidelines for Guest Articles

    Oct 22 2014 | 9:46am ET

    We are always looking for guest articles from hedge fund managers and buy-side firms.

    If you are interested in submitting a contributed piece for possible publication on FINalternatives, please take a look at the specs. Read more…

 

Futures Magazine

December 2014 Cover

Futures 2014 person of the year

Jeff Sprecher was simply looking for a platform to trade energies when launching ICE 14 years ago but it has grown to reach the pinnacle of both the listed futures and equities world.

The Alpha Pages

TAP July/August 2014 Cover

The Alpha Pages Interview: Senator Rand Paul

Senator Paul sat down in the debut series of the Alpha Pages Interview to discuss the broken tax code, regulation surrounding Bitcoin, and his plans for the 2016 Presidential election.