Man Outflows Continue As Investors Pull US$2.7 Billion

Feb 28 2013 | 12:14pm ET

New Man Group CEO Emmanuel Roman certainly took over a mess today.

The former GLG Partners executive formally took the reins at the world's largest publicly-listed hedge fund manager today—just in time for it to announce another US$2.7 billion in net outflows and that an analyst had been arrested on suspicion of insider-trading.

Man said it suffered its sixth-straight quarterly outflow in the fourth quarter, leaving its assets under management at US$57 billion. Man managed US$69 billion in the wake of its 2010 merger with GLG.

Man lost US$745 million last year.

"2012 was another tough year for Man," Roman said. "Trading conditions were highly challenging as markets continued to be dominated by political uncertainties in Europe and the U.S. and macroeconomic risks. Investor appetite remained muted."

And would likely remain so: Roman said that "business conditions remain very tough" and that "sales are likely to remain muted in the first half, and we are yet to see a slowdown in the rate of redemptions."


In Depth

Q&A: MackeyRMS's Chris Mackey On A High Tech Fix To Broker Votes

Jun 23 2017 | 8:17pm ET

The looming implementation of the EU’s MiFID II rules regarding research has put...

Lifestyle

CFA Institute To Add Computer Science To Exam Curriculum

May 24 2017 | 9:25pm ET

Starting in 2019, financial industry executives sitting for the coveted Chartered...

Guest Contributor

Steinbrugge: Asia-Focused Hedge Funds Offer Great Opportunities

Jun 23 2017 | 3:33pm ET

Emerging market strategies have outperformed their developed-market peers for five...

 

From the current issue of