Prosecutors Seek Hold On SAC Forfeiture Lawsuit

Aug 30 2013 | 10:53am ET

Prosecutors are making good on their pledge not to shut SAC Capital Advisors down while they seek its conviction on criminal insider-trading charges.

The government asked a federal judge to put its civil forfeiture lawsuit against the hedge fund on hold until after the criminal case is disposed of. The civil suit seeks the forfeiture of "all property, real and personal," derived from the hedge fund's alleged insider-trading, and prosecutors have said they will seek to seize substantially all of SAC's assets if it is convicted. The government has also said it would not interfere with SAC's payment of redemptions to investors, which are expected to leave it with little or no outside capital by the end of the year.

"Civil discovery would adversely affect the ability of the government to conduct the prosecution of a related criminal case," prosecutors said today.

The government a month ago accused SAC of running a decade-long insider-trading scheme. SAC has denied any wrongdoing.


In Depth

Q&A: George Schultze On His Fund's Unique Approach to Distressed Investing

Apr 16 2015 | 1:01am ET

George Schultze is a managing member of Schultze Asset Management, a long/short...

Lifestyle

Puerto Rico Woos The Rich But So Far Gains Little

Apr 17 2015 | 2:45am ET

Hedge fund manager Rob Rill grins. He has just had word that U.S. financial regulators...

Guest Contributor

Minnesota Supreme Court Rejects The Ponzi Scheme Presumption: Lenders Claw Back Some Of Their Own Rights

Apr 17 2015 | 9:23am ET

A recent court ruling in Minnesota has put an end to the Ponzi Scheme Presumption...

 

Editor's Note