Thursday, 24 July 2014
Last updated 1 hour ago
Mar 4 2014 | 6:55am ET
The speaker lineup for the SALT Conference has been announced and it looks like this year’s premier hedge fund event will boast just as many top names in finance, politics and entertainment as it has in years past.
Speakers include Valerie Jarrett, Kenneth Langone, David Rubenstein, Mary Schapiro, Kevin Spacey, Lawrence Summers and David Tepper, among others.
The thought leadership forum and power networking event, which takes place May 13-16 in Las Vegas, is hosted by SkyBridge Capital, a global alternative investment firm. Approximately 1,800 thought leaders, public policy officials, business professionals and investors will attend to discuss macro-economic trends, geo-political events and alternative investment opportunities for the year ahead.
“As volatile global markets and geo-political tensions continue to weigh on investor sentiment and create uncertainty, SALT is a forum for the world’s leading minds in business, finance, economics and politics to discuss, debate, and exchange ideas while identifying potential solutions,” said Victor Oviedo, partner and global head of business development at SkyBridge Capital, which boasts $9 billion in assets under advisement and management. “We have structured the program to focus in real-time, so participants may gain ideas that are applicable and actionable in today’s current market environment.”
SALT’s program aims to explore the impact that the global capital markets, innovation, technology and leadership have on the alternative investment industry’s growth and stability. This year’s agenda includes discussions among diverse thought leaders and sessions highlighting the world’s top investors’ best ideas.
SALT program highlights and notable speakers include:
• A conversation between one of the world’s top government leaders and General David. H. Petraeus, Director, Central Intelligence Agency (2011-2012); Commander of U.S. and International Security Assistance Forces-Afghanistan (2010-2011); Commander, U.S. Central Command (2008-2010); Commander, Multinational Force-Iraq (2007-2008)
• One-on-one interviews with investment icons Jamie Dinan, Chairman & CEO, York Capital Management; David M. Rubenstein, Co-Founder & Co-CEO, The Carlyle Group; and David Tepper, Founder & President, Appaloosa Management LP
• Featured presentations from Kenneth G. Langone, President & CEO, Invemed Associates LLC and Co-Founder of The Home Depot; Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor to the President of the United States and Assistant to the President for Public Liaison and Intergovernmental Affairs; and Mary Schapiro, Chairman U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission (2009-2012)
• Meeting of the Minds: A Discussion on Global Fiscal Policy Challenges & Economic Realities: A timely conversation featuring distinguished economists, Lawrence H. Summers, Charles W. Eliot University Professor, Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government & Director, White House National Economic Council (2009-2010); and Nassim Taleb, New York Times Bestselling Author, “The Black Swan” & Distinguished Scientific Advisor, Universa Investments
• Keynote presentations from two of the leading minds in entertainment: Francis Ford Coppola, Academy Award Winning Film Director, Producer & Screenwriter; and Kevin Spacey, Academy Award-Winning Actor & Producer
• Panels on identifying investment themes for the year ahead, navigating today’s rising interest rate environment, the new age of investor activism, opportunities in credit, power and politics, China and emerging markets, and key trends and developments shaping Wall Street’s regulatory landscape.
Jul 8 2014 | 10:48am ET
The surge in derivatives regulation is among the most complex challenges facing the financial services industry today. Northern Trust’s Joshua Satten recently spoke with FINalternatives to share insights into the challenges presented by new regulation and explore how the industry is responding. Read more…