Hedge Fund Baron Likes Manchester United

Mar 13 2014 | 10:51am ET

British soccer giant Manchester United Football Club has turned things around after a disappointing start this season. Hedge fund Baron Capital expects that turnaround to continue financially.

The New York-based firm has bought a 2.4% stake in ManU, it said in a regulatory filing Monday. Baron made its move via the team’s New York-traded shares, buying up nearly a quarter of those available.

Man U’s shares account for only 10% of the team; the controlling Glazer family continues to own the remaining 90%.

On its website, Baron said it “remains positive” on Man U, citing an expected sponsorship deal with Nike that could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

In buying the Man U stake, Baron joins the likes of George Soros and GLG Partners, both of which held investments in the team last year. Odey Asset Management has taken a different approach, opening a US$5 million short bet against Man U.


In Depth

Q&A: Jeff Eaton Talks Capital Raising, CalPERS And The Secondaries Market

Oct 14 2014 | 10:16am ET

Global placement agent Eaton Partners has raised close to $60 billion for some of...

Lifestyle

MacDonald-Korth Offers Insights Into Paintings Bought, Sold By Hedgies

Oct 7 2014 | 9:00am ET

Definitive and complete ratings require an in-person examination of an artwork,...

Guest Contributor

PAAMCO: European Equity Exposure - Challenging Year, But All is Not Lost

Oct 16 2014 | 4:12am ET

European equity hedge fund managers have had a tough time so far this year. The...

 

Videos

Editor's Note

    Must Attend Hedge Fund Charity Events For October

    Sep 30 2014 | 9:29am ET

    The crisp Autumnal days of October are upon us, and so are a few of the hedge fund industry’s favorite charitable events. If you have never been to Rocktoberfest, well, you are missing out. And for a quieter evening of sipping and socializing, stop by HFC’s Wine Soiree. Read more…

 

Futures Magazine

October 2014 Cover

Deeply flawed risk benchmark

Most traders agree that proper risk management is the key to successful trading. However, many traders depend on the deeply flawed measure of standard deviation as a benchmark of risk. Here we put it ...

The Alpha Pages

TAP July/August 2014 Cover

The Alpha Pages Interview: Senator Rand Paul

Senator Paul sat down in the debut series of the Alpha Pages Interview to discuss the broken tax code, regulation surrounding Bitcoin, and his plans for the 2016 Presidential election.