Bridgewater: U.S. Public Pension Funds On Road To Ruin

Apr 16 2014 | 9:48am ET

American public pension funds are in bigger trouble than widely thought, according to the world's largest hedge-fund manager.

Bridgewater Associates said it has crunched the numbers, and that there's an 80% chance that public pensions will go bust within 50 years. In 20% of the scenarios tested by Bridgewater's "stress-test" model, they'll run out of money in just 20 years.

Bridgewater notes that public pensions have some $3 trillion in assets and $10 trillion in future liabilities. That means they need to return at least 9% a year to ensure that they can pay those obligations.

Unfortunately, the most optimistic of predictions have pensions earning just 7% to 8% per year, which would lead to a 20% shortfall. And Bridgewater believes those predictions are optimistic, indeed.

The hedge fund said it is more likely that public pensions will earn just 4% annually. That would see 85% of U.S. public pensions go bankrupt in the next 30 years.


In Depth

Why Ponzi Schemes Work: An In-Depth Look At The Allen Stanford Fraud

Dec 21 2014 | 10:30am ET

Texan Allen Stanford first appeared on the radars of financial regulators in 1997...

Lifestyle

Cooper-Hohn Won't Contest Divorce Settlement

Dec 18 2014 | 9:51am ET

The ex-wife of hedge fund billionaire Christopher Hohn will not contest a divorce...

Guest Contributor

Controlling With Confidence: A ‘How-To’ For Hedge Fund Managers

Dec 22 2014 | 11:52am ET

Hedge funds are increasingly turning to third party services to help with operations...

 

Sponsored Content

Editor's Note

    Guidelines for Guest Articles

    Oct 22 2014 | 9:46am ET

    We are always looking for guest articles from hedge fund managers and buy-side firms.

    If you are interested in submitting a contributed piece for possible publication on FINalternatives, please take a look at the specs. Read more…

 

Futures Magazine

December 2014 Cover

Futures 2014 person of the year

Jeff Sprecher was simply looking for a platform to trade energies when launching ICE 14 years ago but it has grown to reach the pinnacle of both the listed futures and equities world.

The Alpha Pages

TAP July/August 2014 Cover

The Alpha Pages Interview: Senator Rand Paul

Senator Paul sat down in the debut series of the Alpha Pages Interview to discuss the broken tax code, regulation surrounding Bitcoin, and his plans for the 2016 Presidential election.