Sandelman Halts Withdrawals, Announces Restructuring

Jul 11 2008 | 10:16am ET

New York-based Sandelman Partners has suspended redemptions from its flagship hedge fund amid a complete restructuring of its funds.

The $4 billion firm made the move after investors representing some 20% of its $3.2 billion Multi-Strategy Fund sought to withdraw their investments, Absolute Return reports. Instead, Sandelman told investors it will be moving 22% of the fund’s assets into a side account controlled by the firm, and gave them two options for the remaining 78%.

Investors can either move their money into a new fund—which will include the assets of its smaller fund, which is up 2.6% this year—with a one-year lockup, or into a liquidation fund, which will wind down its investments and pay investors back over time.

The new fund has been dubbed Sandelman Partners Opportunity.

The Multi-Strategy fund is down about 5% this year, following a decline of less than 2% last year.


In Depth

Will Liquid Alts’ Performance Sustain Future Asset Flows?

Aug 25 2014 | 10:34am ET

Liquid alternative investment funds saw the highest percentage of capital inflows...

Lifestyle

Hedgies, Economists and Musicians Mingle At Milkin Mixers In Hamptons

Aug 25 2014 | 6:00am ET

Leave it to Michael Milken to bring some gravitas and sweat to the Hamptons -- along...

Guest Contributor

Looking Ahead: What’s In Store For Managed Futures?

Aug 22 2014 | 12:52pm ET

The last five years were phenomenal for investors in equity indices. Will the next...

 

Editor's Note

    Get A Sneak Peak Of The Alpha Pages

    Aug 25 2014 | 11:21am ET

    As many of you know, FINalternatives was recently acquired by the owners of Futures magazine, a firm called The Alpha Pages LLC. Today marks the soft-launch of a new sister site for both publications. As its name suggests, The Alpha Pages will cover all types of alternative investments, going far beyond the more well-known ones such as hedge funds and private equity. Read more…

 

Futures Magazine

July/August 2014 Cover

The time was right

Commodities/Futures magazine launched at the precipice of a revolution in the futures industry—really a revolution in the idea of risk management—that would move it from a small niche industry to ...

The Alpha Pages

TAP July/August 2014 Cover

The Alpha Pages Interview: Senator Rand Paul

Senator Paul sat down in the debut series of the Alpha Pages Interview to discuss the broken tax code, regulation surrounding Bitcoin, and his plans for the 2016 Presidential election.