Thursday, 11 February 2016
Last updated 14 hours ago
Mar 25 2009 | 2:03am ET
While many hedge fund managers fret and wring their hands over a continuing wave of redemptions, one prominent quantitative shop says so far, so good.
Michael Hintze, CEO of London-based CQS, told the Reuters Hedge Funds and Private Equity Summit that withdrawal requests from clients ebbed sharply in the first quarter. The firm has lost some 35% of its assets in the past year, dropping from US$10 billion to US$6.5 billion. Its flagship fell 30% last year.
“Frankly, we’ve had very few redemptions coming up for April so far,” Hintze told the London confab. He credited the firm’s early filling of withdrawal requests this year, which “got people to renege on some of the redemptions and actually this was a very positive signal that things got back to normal.”